Make Your Own Water Filter
You can turn muddy water into clear water by putting it through a number of layers that
filter out the impurities. this is similar to the first step that our tap water goes
through at a treatment station.
What You Need:
- 2-Liter plastic pop bottle & lid
- Cotton Batting
- Gravel (large and small)
- Sand (large grain and fine)
- Coffee filter
- Muddy Water
What To Do:
- Cut the bottom off the pop bottle. Poke a hole in the bottle's lid, just large enough to
fit the straw. Put the straw through the hole. Turn the bottle upside down and rest it in
the mouth of the jar.
- In the bottle, place a layer of cotton batting followed by layers of fine-grain sand,
large-grain sand, small gravel and large gravel. Cut the coffee filter so it fits across
the top of the bottle and place it on top of the gravel.
- Pour muddy water into the open end of the bottle and let the water seep down through the
It is strongly recomended that you still add 4-8 drops of
chlorine to every gallon of water filtered just to make sure the water is purified.